Kopila Star is a Residence Rehabilitation Center for former street children in Kathmandu Nepal. It’s an extension project of the Drop in Center Kopila Ghar.
Kopila Rehabilitation Center is a long- term rehabilitation center specifically operated for the street children, age 6-17. It is the rehabilitation and re- socialization phase of intervention. Street children are referred for the rehabilitation and are kept in the long term residential child care home. A street child will be transferred to Kopila Kunj from the Drop-in Center Kopila Ghar or from other governmental agencies with an aim to find a permanent long – term solution. During the course of the street child stay in the rehabilitation center, assessments such as psychological counseling, Non Formal Education and family assessment will be performed. The long – term planning of the child and admission to school can be done only after the family assessment is performed. If the family reunion is possible the child will be re-integrated in his family. In cases where the family re-union isn’t possible Kopila Kunj offers a long term residential and schooling program.
- Increase more and more referrals of the street children to the rehabilitation centre from the Drop-in Center Kopila Ghar.
- Conduct Family assessment
- Conduct Family re-integration and regularly monitor the process of re-integration
- Conduct systematic initial NFE ( Non Formal Education) assessment of the street children referred in the children home .
- Admit children to school and regular monitor the child school performance.
- Strengthen the day to day psycho social and rehabilitative activities of the rehabilitation center for the children.
- Ensure child participation through children regular meeting in order to review their daily timetable likes and dislikes, plan for outing, decision making process, policy implementation process, engaging them in cooking activities, cleaning and personal hygiene program etc.
- Organize regular counseling program, therapeutic activities like art therapy, play therapy and music therapy.
- Organize awareness based program in an effective manner.
- Conduct regular exposure visits for the children in different places to ensure mental health evolution and amelioration of the children.
Art therapy allows the children to express their troubled feelings without words. Their drawings will show us their past life, their dreams and fears but also eventual signs of maltreatment and abuse.
Play therapy provides the children the way to express their experiences and feelings. The play therapy helps the child to overcome internal anxieties, aggressions and change disturbing behavior. The child plays freely while therapist observes, asks questions and makes suggestions.
Music affects children emotions. Music therapy helps the children to express their feelings , to release internal tensions, to open up and finally to relax. Music can also be helpful to increase academic skills of the children.
In case of psychological disorders our psychologist supports the child with an individual psychotherapy.